Thursday, August 27, 2009

Help! Help! I'm Being Repressed!



Ok, so not physically repressed, and there is no violence inherent in the system to behold, but I do need your help.
I plan on carrying 3 or 4 staple cakes while rotating 2 0r 3 seasonal cakes. I'm set with a coconut cake, and as soon as I can get my edges from getting crispy I have a carrot cake (as seen to our left). What I'm looking for is a recipe for a Red Velvet Cake, German Chocolate Cake, oddly enough is my favorate and I have never attempted it, Devils Food Cake, and a White, or Caucasian Cake, don't want to offend any one. Also I'm taking any suggestions for other types of cake I am forgetting about or possibly a childhood.

While I have your attention, I wanted to run an idea by you. I really don't need to be eating all these desserts I'm making, so this is what I suggest. I suggest that once a week or so I will select a location in the Greenville area (and probably once in Ohio) and sample 2 or 3 of my creations. This will give me a chance to get feedback on my creations and to spread the idea of what I am doing, and for you, well, it is free dessert. The more people I can get to commit to coming, the more desserts I will bring with me. Bring a friend, or a loved one if you want, and help out an entrepreneur...wait what am I talking about, I'm sitting in a Starbucks with shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt, I'd hardly call myself an entrepreneur...help out a dude looking to follow a dream. There will be a 3-5 question survey to fill out regarding the desserts and I will have a price list together by then if anyone wants to order a cake or cheesecake I'm sure we could work something out. Feel free to make your opinions known on the matter and let's see some of those favorites I need to carry.
These Apple Turnovers are delicious! This picture just makes my mouth water.

10 comments:

  1. Yes. The apple turnovers were my favorite. Absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please come to Greenville with some cake and apple turnovers! I'd love to be a taste tester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a good chocolate cake in your repertoire yet? I'm madly in love with Ina Garten's recipe called "Beatty's Chocolate Cake" - it is my favoritest chocolate cake ever!!! It has a cup of coffee and a cup of buttermilk in the batter and is super dark and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely need to be one of those taste testers!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie, that does sound good. Where can I find the recipie?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh,
    The taste test sounds great. I wish I lived closer so I could feed my face....um, I mean help test your creations.

    I love new business start up's, so it's exciting to watch from a distance. I'd love to help, so let me throw a few questions at you that will be really important to answer (for yourself... not to me). For your own peace of mind, knowing the answers will take you a long way in a start up business.

    1. What is your target market? Think about your perfect client and identify as many of their specific characteristics as possible.

    2. How will you reach your target market? Through resellers, retail shop, direct mail??? That will also help you ID some of your costs.

    3. What are your costs and revenue assumptions? Most lenders will require a business plan that lays out both costs and revenue projections for year 1 thru 5 minimum.

    4. What is your differentiator? What makes your product different? Why will people in my target market buy from me? This one is critical. Good cakes are great, but if you don't have a clear vision of why people want what you have, neither will they.

    Again... these answers are not for me. I want you to succeed, so I'm hoping I can get you to think about the things I've had to prove out in other businesses ventures.

    Peace to you and All to the Glory of Christ.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here you go, sir!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/beattys-chocolate-cake-recipe/index.html

    If that link doesn't work for some reason, just google "Beatty's Chocolate Cake."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also have a delicious chocolate cake...and I don't even like chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about finding a farmer's market to sell at? Joanie does that.
    Try the Small Business Administration for a loan.
    My mom has a good red velvet recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's something to also think about:

    What about diabetics? If I went to your bakery, my mom couldn't eat anything. Considering how many people are diabetic, it would be a good thing to keep in mind.

    What will you be offering as beverages? It seems to me that what you are going for would lend itself to something that would be served as opposed to a soft drink in a can or bottle.

    ReplyDelete