Wednesday, August 26, 2009

12 eggs, 7 sticks of butter, 1/2 bottle of rum and a coconut.






No, this isn't breakfast in the Caribbean. It is my newest attempt at a coconut cake. The final product (pictured below) is a four layer cake standing about 4-5 inches in height. Inside,the cake is an extremely moist blend of vanilla and coconut, among the best I've had. The icing, while very tasty, was very difficult to make and spread. It didn't set as much as I would like an icing to, so the jury is still out on that. The coconut crunch on the outside of the cake, I could just sit down and eat from a bowl. They are shavings from a coconut...that I cut open myself, thank you very much...tossed with a coconut rum and sugar glaze then baked until toasted...mmmmmmm!In the end I will probably add another 9 inch cake round to the top and drop the cake to a three layer cake, but with thicker layers. I will also find away to make the icing a little easier to use. However, the batter and the coconut shavings are here to stay.


2 comments:

  1. It was so good I had two pieces AND I don't like coconut all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paule Deen would be so proud with all of the butter!! :)

    ReplyDelete